Restore Teeth With Dental Veneers or Crowns
What are dental veneers and crowns and how do they work?
Dental veneers and crowns are similar in that they are both used to cover a damaged tooth, restoring the look and function of a natural tooth. This means the root of your tooth is still natural, but the visible part of the tooth has been restored using resin or porcelain.
Dental crowns can also be used in combination with a dental implant, if you have a missing tooth, or one that cannot be restored. In such a case, a dental implant can be used to replace the root of a tooth, with a dental crown placed on top of the implant.
The major difference between veneers and crowns is that dental veneers are a thin, strong layer that gets attached over the front of your natural teeth… whereas dental crowns are actually shaped like a tooth, and get attached over the base of your tooth. Both procedures require us to reshape your existing tooth structure to create a surface to attach your veneers or crowns to.
How do we make veneers and crowns?
Depending on the needs of each case, we can either use CEREC technology to create same day crowns. Or, we may use a master technician from a ceramic laboratory for the fabrication of veneers and implant crowns.
The video below explains just how incredible CEREC technology is, and the many benefits it has for you as a patient:
What problems can dental veneers and crowns solve?
Dental veneers can be used to solve a range of different issues, including:
- Reshaping teeth that are worn down, chipped or broken
- Reshaping teeth if you have a gummy smile
- Resizing teeth that are too small or gappy
- Lengthening teeth that have worn down and are no longer visible when you smile
- Changing the colour of heavily stained teeth
Dental crowns can also be used to solve a range of different issues, including:
- Replacing old and worn silver fillings
- Reinforcing teeth with large fillings, helping to prevent filled teeth from chipping or breaking
- Restoring and strengthening teeth after a root canal
- Replace missing teeth by combining a dental implant with a porcelain crown